Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Romano By Every Other Name

So, we’re at a meeting the other day: I’m minding my own business under the conference table, when all of a sudden I smell an old acquaintance coming along.
It’s my old buddy Romano, the seeing-eye dog.

He’s getting a bit grizzled around the muzzle, but still very handsome. He’s a true professional, too, absolutely ignores me until he’s settled down under the table.
After that I made sure he didn’t ignore me – I gave him a friendly ‘woof’ (and got in trouble for it) and next thing you know, he’s asking me for my number. Too bad I can’t count…

Romano and I listened in on our peoples’ conversation, and we heard a whole bunch of really boring stuff, and one funny story. Here’s the funny story.

Romano has worked for his man for a long time – almost ten years. And they’ve lived next door to the same lady for all those years. And this lady has called Romano by the wrong name for all ten of those years! Not the same wrong name, mind you – a different wrong name every time!

So Romano has been called Parmesan, Calabrese, Sicily, Lasagna, Ricotta: if it’s an Italian cheese, region, or pasta, Romano has been called it!

Finally his man came up with a very clever idea: he told the sweet old-lady neighbour to just call Romano... ...Diogi. Pronounced Dee-OH-Gee: get it? D. O. G…

I love it, but the funniest part is that she can’t remember that either, so he’s still Tortellini today, maybe Mozzarella tomorrow!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Hey Breezie, that's an awesome story...a funny story that is especially funny to me!! You see my most beloved buddy that passed right after we got Maisie was named Diogi...spelled that way so if someone found him and looked at his tag they would know his name and not call him "DOG" when they read D.O.G. :-)

Do people call you Zephyr or Storm? I hope not because those are your littermates names :-)

Ear scratches for you on another blog well done!

Tara

Kris said...

Hey Breeze!

Cadet has EXACTLY the same problem. We often (more often than I care to admit) go into a local beer and liquor store, and the staff there LOVE Cadet. Problem is... they know his name sounds military, but can't remember quite what it is. He most often gets Scout, but has also been called General, Lieutenant (now that's a mouthful!), and other "ranked" names. Too funny.

On another note, Alexis no longer works for WWF Canada, so I guess Breeze and Cadet won't see each other at work :(

Perhaps we'll just have to drop by anyway!

Keep writing... I love the blog!

Kristina (and Cadet)

Kris said...

Oh yeah, one more thing... can I come some time when you go to a school to give your awareness talk?? I'd love to see it!

Kristina